Our Approach + FAQs
At ODMÉ we approach our practice through an ethical and sustainable lens. That means we are mindful about who we source our supplies from, what ingredients go into our candles, and what happens to our candles at the end of their burn.
We purchase from trustworthy, reputable suppliers and seek out those who;
- value the well-being of their employees and are conscious of best ethical practices;
- minimize or offset any negative environmental impacts as a result of production;
- and offer or participate in structured giveback programs.
We do our best to stay up to date on and prioritize ingredients that;
- are natural and renewable;
- are free of toxins and phthalates;
- are not irritants of common allergens;
- are produced by local and/or regional suppliers;
- are of the highest quality so as to produce a long and even burn.
Repurposing + Recycling
We invest in products and provide resources that;
- are of lasting and elegant quality for ease of repurposing;
- intentionally do not place labels on the candle vessel so upcycling is that much easier;
- showcase ways to clean and repurpose your candle vessel;
- use minimal impact, recyclable, and/or recycled materials in our packaging such as non-toxic biodegradable packing peanuts;
- up-cycle the packing materials our supplies are delivered in.
How long do ODMÉ candles last for?
- When burned properly, our 5 OZ candles will burn for a minimum of 20 hours and our 11 OZ candles will burn for a minimum of 50 hours.
Why does ODMÉ use wooden wicks?
- Wooden wicks are a sustainable, natural, and eco-friendly wicking option. We find them to be clean burning inside of our homes and the wicks themselves are easily maintained throughout the life of the candle, making it easy for you to 'trim' your wicks simply by breaking off the unwanted pieces with your fingers. We also love the aesthetic they bring to your candle burn, providing a soothing crackle sound.
What kind of wax do you use?
- We use a wax blend made from renewable apricot and coconut. This blend is vegan, gluten-free, non-toxic, paraben and phthalate free.
Why do you use coconut apricot wax instead of soy wax?
- We decided to use coconut apricot wax because it comes from a non-genetically modified source, unlike soy (hello Monsanto, now owned by Bayer), and is the most eco-friendly wax on the market.
- Coconut apricot wax has a superior scent throw to soy, meaning the smell from your candle will be stronger.
- Some of our customers experience soy allergens or sensitivities so this wax provides a safe way for them to burn candles in their home.
- Coconut apricot wax is more expensive but we believe it is the right option for providing the highest quality candles to our customers.
- For an in-depth read on candle wax comparisons, our industry colleagues Keap have a great write-up on their blog.
How do you come up with your candle scents?
- Each scent is crafted by ODMÉ's founder. She first creates a vision for the scent she'd like to create, inspired by a memory or experience she has had. From there, she sources fragrance and essential oils from suppliers and begins the scent blending process. Through several variations and lots of smell testing and note-taking, she decides on a mixture she thinks best represents the experience she's trying to bring to life through the sense of smell.
Essential oils or fragrance oils?
- Both! The important thing is to research and understand how to use each of them safely. Just because something is labeled 'natural' or 'organic' it does not mean it is safe for consumption.
- Depending on the scent experience ODMÉ's founder is trying to create and what's available in the market, one or the other, or both, are used for any given scent blend.
- From the National Candle Association, "...unfounded concerns about the safety of man-made fragrances vs. “natural” fragrance materials and essential oils continue to populate the media. The fragrances approved for candle usage – whether synthesized or “natural” – do not release toxic chemicals."
- A final note, fragrance oils tend to be more successful in candles as they release a stronger scent, the #1 feature customers desire in a candle.
If you have specific questions about a candle please write to us at email@example.com